I know the kids are very excited about the Jekyll field trip coming up. Please read EVERYTHING below in regards to important details of the trip.
Students will arrive at school at 5AM on Wednesday. PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN THE JONES BRIDGE CIRCLE. You may park in a parking spot but we do not want anyone blocking the busses from getting in or leaving. The busses will be pulling out at 5:30. We will not hold the busses so make sure you are on time. If you need anything on Wednesday morning, please call the front office. Teachers will not be available to check their emails.
Packing List can be found below:
Students are NOT ALLOWED to bring ANY ELECTRONIC DEVICE. This includes cell phones, tablets, digital cameras, gopro's, etc. I suggest students bring a disposable camera if they would like to take their own pictures. I will be uploading pictures of the trip on my class instagram account: greathouse5th. Feel free to follow me and check out some pictures of the trip!
Students are also NOT ALLOWED to bring any food with them. They do not allow food in the cabins. Students will be well taken care of while they are away and well fed :).
If you have any further questions about the trip, please email me and I would be happy to answer your question.
Students are expected to complete a SS, Science, and Math review each week as we prepare for Milestones. Several students have not been living up to this expectation. all of the directions for the review are located on my website. Go to the class tab, click on milestone madness. These are homework grades and an incomplete will be reflected in the grade book.
Social Studies- Our test over World War II is TOMORROW. Please make sure you review the information with your child. There is a lot of information on this test.
Science- Our next science unit will actually start while we are at Jekyll :). Several of their classes cover constructive and destructive forces which we will cover in our next unit. Unfortunately this is a short unit. Our test over constructive and destructive forces will be Friday, March 17th.
Blue Math- Blue math just started Unit 7. This unit will cover coordinate planes and functions/patterns. Our test over this unit will be after Milestones on April 28th.
Yellow Math- Yellow math has been working on ratios, rates, and proportions. Our test over this unit is March 24th.
We have several announcements for this upcoming week :)
I have also uploaded the homework board for the week above :).
You will also find the Math Rotations above for students who are absent.
1. Curriculum website- Our CST, Emily Davis, has created a website to help you with curriculum questions. You can access it below:
2. Jekyll- We leave for Jekyll next Wednesday! I hope they are excited!! Please make sure they are at school at 5 AM, we are pulling out at 5:30AM. We will return Friday afternoon.
3. Behavior- 5th graders need to be role models to those younger students in the school. Our class knows their expectations. They should also be spreading kindness to all classmates and neighbors. Please make sure you review your expectations with your children. Student will be expected to be on their absolute best behavior while on our field trip next week.
Blue Math- We will have our math test on Friday. It will cover Measurement and Volume. Students have notes and TenMarks assignments to study from.
Yellow Math- We will be learning about unit rates this week. We have already learned about Ratios. Please make sure they are reviewing their notes nightly. Their test over 6th grade unit 2 will be later in March.
Social Studies- We have been learning about World War II and will continue to learn about WWII throughout this week. Students have reading passages and fill in the blank notes to study from. Our test will be next Tuesday, Feb. 28th. Please make sure they are studying nightly.
Happy Valentines Day!!
Check below for some important weekly updates.
1. If you have not gotten your final Jekyll payment in, it needs to be turned in ASAP.
2. In the Jekyll packet, there is also medical forms IF NEEDED. Please make sure those get returned.
3. Love of reading day is today! We have had a great day reading and doing various activities with books that we read about WWII. Check out SeeSaw to see what your child created today!
4. Milestone Madness!! We have just started our competition for Milestone Madness! This will last us 7 weeks. Your child should have brought home an information paper yesterday with what Milestone Madness is. You can also find the information as well as each weeks homework/tests on my website under the class tab--> then click on Milestone Madness.
Blue Math- We are starting to work on Volume. Our test will cover volume and measurement conversions. Our test will be next Friday, February 24th .
Yellow Math- We have just started 6th grade unit 2. This unit will cover ratios, unit ratios, and ratio/proportion reasoning. Our test over this unit will be March 24th.
Social Studies- We have just started our unit on World War II. This unit is a very sensitive unit and will be treated as such. We will discuss the causes of WWII, Why America entered the war, The Holocaust, Concentration camps, Internment camps, and the end of the war. We will also learn about both the Democratic and Dictator leaders. Our test over WWII will be February 28th (the day before we leave for Jekyll!).
I hope everyone had a great weekend. Not to great with the super bowl outcome though.....
We have some important updates this week:
1. Jekyll payments are due on Thursday. Please make sure you have medical forms filled out and turned in as needed.
2. Wednesday is International day! Students may dress up based on their cultural heritage.
3. The deadline to sign up for the last Lunch Bunch is Feb. 15th. The following link will take you to the sign up for your kid's lunch. Please make sure you sign them up with their PM teacher.
4. Dolvin Technology NightWe are very excited to announce Dolvin’s first ever Tech Night! This is an opportunity for our students to showcase their expertise in technology and for parents to experience firsthand some of the many technology programs that are being used at Dolvin. The event will be held on Tuesday, March 14, from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
All Dolvin students who are interested in presenting need to complete the Google Form by clicking the link below and submitting it by February, 10th. Students may work alone or with a partner. If there are any questions, please feel free to contact Kaitlyn McMahan at (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Renee Morris (email@example.com)
Yellow Math- We have moved out test to Friday due to International Day. This 6th grade Unit 1 test will cover decimal and fraction operations, LCM, GCF, and Distributive Property. Students have a study guide they will be completing for homework
Blue Math- We will continue working with measurement conversions this week. Today, we learned how to convert metric measurements. This is very difficult for students so please make sure they are practicing on their homework! We will learn about finding volume later in this unit. Our test over Unit 6 will be February 24th.
Science- We have been learning about Chemical and Physical Changes. Students took their quiz on Friday and will get them back Tuesday. We will have our test over chemical and physical changes on Thursday.
Social Studies- Coming up, we will be discussing WWII!
Check back every week for a new post with information about the coming week.